Health, industrial and fire safety and providing high-quality medical services to employees is the basis for the stable operation of any production.
The Company takes care of the health of its employees and prevents occupational and production-related illnesses. Specialists of the RUSAL Medical Centre (RMC) provide highly skilled treatment, preventive and emergency medical aid to RUSAL employees, and carry out regular medical examinations. In the Russian Federation, the RMC has got 14 healthcare centres, which are in nine regions of the Company's presence and serve more than 45,000 people. In nine of the branches, the Centre provides medical services not only to Company employees, but also to local residents.
All Company production facilities in Guinea have also got their own in-house medical services. For example, in 2015, to combat the spread of a deadly disease in Guinea, RUSAL built and fully equipped the Scientific Clinical & Diagnostic Centre of Epidemiology and Microbiology (SCDCEM) in Kindia. RUSAL’s investment in the construction of the Centre amounted to more than USD 10 mln. Following this, a part of SCDCEM was repurposed as an advanced laboratory complex, making it possible to perform laboratory analysis with a high protection level for inpatients. The Company's medical services also operate at other foreign production facilities.
RUSAL is improving working conditions for its employees, arranging for prevention and education, and introducing advanced personal protective equipment (PPE).
In the health, occupational and fire safety area, the main goal of RUSAL is to have a zero injury rate, and to completely mitigate the risks of accidents and fires. To this end, each industrial site of the Company has got a built-in vertical health, occupational and fire safety management system, for all employees and contractors. Every year, RUSAL invests significant funds to support health and safety. For example, USD 49.3 mln were spent for these purposes in 2018.
RUSAL’s production facilities have got one of the lowest ratio of lost time accidents to fatal accidents (“LTAFR2) indicators in the industry. In 2018, it was 0.16 (the indicator of the global aluminium industry is 0.22).
- The lives of our employees and their health are more important than production achievements and economic results. When it comes to creating a safe working environment for the company's employees, we do not compromise to increase financial profits. It is the responsibility of RUSAL's management at all levels of management to ensure the safety of every employee of the Company.
- All incidents can and should be prevented. It is our responsibility as an employer to identify and eliminate health, safety and fire risks in a timely manner. We stop work when there is even a minimal threat to human life and health.
- All health, safety and fire protection legislation must be strictly complied with. We ensure that our operations comply with all laws and regulations of the countries in which we operate.
- Competence, awareness and responsibility of employees at our enterprises is an important condition for safe work. We provide systematic training and instruction to our employees and contractors in order to prevent situations that pose a threat to life and health.
- The responsible performance of employees and their compliance with industrial safety standards should be encouraged. RUSAL supports initiatives aimed at improving its occupational health and safety system.
- The work of suppliers and contractors with whom the Company cooperates should comply with RUSAL's occupational health and safety policy. One of the criteria for selecting contractors is their compliance with the Company's occupational health and safety requirements.
- Regular monitoring and measurement of health, safety and fire safety indicators is required. RUSAL assesses its performance in improving its occupational health and safety system and discloses its results, including through annual social and annual reports. An analysis of the performance in this area helps to adjust further actions and eliminate risk factors.