The The Siberian Scientific Research and Design Institute of Aluminium and Electrode Industry (SibVAMI) was established in 1959 to conduct design and scientific activities for production facilities of the Siberian region.
JSC SibVAMI is the general designer for the construction of:
- Irkutsk, Bratsk and Novokuznetsk Aluminium Smelters,
- Novosibirsk and Chelyabinsk Electrode Plants,
- Polevskoy and South Ural Cryolite Plants,
- CJSC Kremny, Bratsk Ferroalloy Plant
In 2007, SibVAMI became a part of UC RUSAL, and is a corporate developer of fume catching and treatment centres (FTCs). The Institute's specialists have many years of experience in developing various fume treatment designs with the best treatment efficiency and structure costs. Offers for developing fume treatment centres based on the RUSAL design may already go beyond the aluminium industry.
The reference list of built and operating FTCs using unique SibVAMI technology includes the fume treatment centres of the Novokuznetsk, Bratsk and Irkutsk Aluminium Smelters.
The environmental indicators of fume treatment are at the level of the best world analogues. At the same time, at the current stage, the capital expenditure is 40% lower versus the best offers of competitors, the material consumption is 25% lower than analogues, and the footprint area is 10% lower. As a part of UC RUSAL, the Institute fulfills turnkey FTC construction orders.
As a part of UC RUSAL, SibVAMI has completed design and research works, developed documents, and provided engineering supervision for the following projects:
- Construction of the 5th baked anode potline in the reduction shop for 300 kA at the Irkutsk Aluminium Smelter.
- Automated raw materials feeding system in potrooms as part of the Green Soderberg project at the Irkutsk, Bratsk and Volgograd Aluminium Smelters.
- Upgrading of casthouses at the Irkutsk Aluminium Smelter, the Sayanogorsk Aluminium Smelter, the Krasnoyarsk Aluminium Smelter, and the Krasnoyarsk Metallurgical Plant.
- Technical retooling of aluminium powder production at LLC SUAL PM, a branch of OJSC SUAL VgAZ-SUAL.
- Construction of a dry gas scrubber for ore thermal furnaces (OTF) Nos 1-2 at CJSC Kremny
- Development and implementation of waste water treatment technology at discharge No 1 of OJSC RUSAL Novokuznetsk according to the prescribed MPC.
- Baked anode production at the OJSC SUAL VgAZ-SUAL. Recycling Complex.
- Exploration (additional exploration) of the Goryachegorskoye Nepheline Ore Deposit, including calculation and recognition of the reserves.
- Design of the mud disposal areas at BAZ, UAZ, AGK, the tailing dam at YaGRK and CJSC Kremny.
JSC SibVAMI has got three separate business units in Krasnoyarsk (based on the All-Union State Project Institute Hydroenergoproject), Bratsk and Novokuznetsk.
JSC SibVAMI is a comprehensive design institute, and performs the following types of works:
- Design of process facilities and waterworks (mud collectors, settlement ponds, ash dumps, hydraulic plants, dams, spillways, berths, etc.);
- Engineering activities (supply and manufacture of fume treatment facilities, engineering support to equipment during operation, installation supervision and commissioning of equipment, obtaining a Customs Union permit);
- Design of general engineering facilities and heat power facilities (CHPs, boiler rooms, networks), infrastructure facilities, including compressor stations, water recycling units, electricity supply, power grid facilities (substations and power transmission lines);
- Drafting of documents for the operation of waterworks and hydraulic facilities (safety declaration, monitoring projects, operation projects, safety criteria, calculation of damage from an accident at waterworks, expert examination of a waterworks safety declaration, preparation of annual reports on the condition of waterworks, multi-factor analysis of waterworks, evaluation and inspection of waterworks).
- Modeling and strength calculations;
- Drafting of environmental documents, drafting of an EIA section, development of environmental buffer area projects, preparation of documents and passing public hearings, passing environmental expert examinations.
- Engineering surveys (geological, geodesic, hydrometeorological, environmental, geological exploration) with its own material base – drilling equipment, soil research laboratory, and high-accuracy geodesic tools;
- Inspection of building structures and 3D scanning of facilities.
In 2015, according to the decision of UC RUSAL, the basic Light Metals Metallurgy Department was created on the basis of JSC SibVAMI and the Irkutsk National Research Technical University (IrNITU) to interact with universities (IrNITU), raise skills, retrain personnel, support student practice, diploma papers, and scientific publications;
SibVAMI applies advanced project document flow systems and digital design systems using 3D modeling (3D CAD).
Every year, JSC SibVAMI specialists participate in science and technology competitions, regional and Russian national stages of the Engineer of the Year contest, are winners of the Governor's Science and Technology award for 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2013, 2018, and 2019.
JSC SibVAMI is the winner and diploma holder of the all-Russian contest 100 Best Products of Russia for 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019.
The Institute's intellectual base includes more than 110 patents, a scientific and engineering archive of created technologies, joint scientific research with foreign customers and engineering companies.